Grade 9 Math Tutor
Ninth grade math delves deeper into complex mathematical concepts and introduces some new ones that rely very heavily on a comprehensive understanding of math taught in previous grades. As most teachers don’t have the time to revisit previously taught foundational math, it is imperative that your child have a sound mathematical foundation on which to build this year. Missing building blocks can be remedied by math tutoring to prevent your child from falling behind in this crucial year.
Our in-home tutors work with the local curriculum. In the ninth grade, students must master not only important mathematical concepts, but also the following academic skills:
- Problem solving.
- Reasoning skills to make mathematical conjectures, assess conjectures, and justify conclusions, and plan and construct organized mathematical arguments.
- Reflecting and monitoring their thinking to help clarify their understanding as they complete an investigation or solve a problem.
- Selecting tools and computational strategies to investigate mathematical ideas and to solve problems.
- Connecting: make connections among mathematical concepts and procedures, and relate mathematical ideas to situations or phenomena drawn from other contexts.
- Representing: create a variety of representations of mathematical ideas, connect and compare them, and select and apply the appropriate representations to solve problems.
- Communicate mathematical thinking orally, visually, and in writing, using mathematical vocabulary and a variety of appropriate representations, and observing mathematical conventions.
Looking for a different grade level?
Grade 9 Math Sample Curriculum
Number Sense and Algebra
- Demonstrate an understanding of the exponent rules of multiplication and division, and apply them to simplify expressions
- Manipulate numerical and polynomial expressions, and solve first-degree equations
- Solve problems involving proportional reasoning
- Simplify numerical and polynomial expressions in one variable, and solve simple first-degree equations
- Apply data-management techniques to investigate relationships between two variables
- Demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics of a linear relation
- Connect various representations of a linear relation, and solve problems using the representations
- Determine the characteristics of linear relations
- Demonstrate an understanding of constant rate of change and its connection to linear relations
- Connect various representations of a linear relation, and solve problems using the representations.
- Determine the relationship between the form of an equation and the shape of its graph with respect to linearity and non-linearity
- Determine, through investigation, the properties of the slope and y-intercept of a linear relation
- Solve problems involving linear relations
Measurement and Geometry
- Determine, through investigation, the optimal values of various measurements of rectangles
- Solve problems involving the measurements of two-dimensional shapes and the surface areas and volumes of three-dimensional figures
- Verify, through investigation facilitated by dynamic geometry software, geometric properties and relationships involving two-dimensional shapes, and apply the results to solving problem